NTL and FreeBSD

Scott Mitchell scott.mitchell at mail.com
Thu Jun 1 00:34:10 BST 2000

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 10:23:56PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Can you give some tips here please. I registered under Windows, then
> noted the settings and transferred them to FreeBSD. It fails on the PAP
> authentication:
>
> May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: bundle: Authenticate
> May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: deflink: his = PAP, mine = none
> May 31 21:46:41 parish ppp[232]: Phase: Pap Output: parish ********
> May 31 21:46:42 parish ppp[232]: Phase: Pap Input: FAILURE ()
>
> I tried dialling in from term and entered my username and password at
> the login: and password: prompts (very carefully, and tried several
> times) but it always comes back with "Invalid username/password pair".
>
> What else do I need to do?

Can you connect OK using Windows? (a regular DUN connection rather than the
dodgy stuff the CD likes to install)  I had the same problem as you for
about a week after I registered, but only because ntl had screwed things up
at their end -- I couldn't get on using Windows either for that time.

There's nothing especially tricky in my ppp.conf; I think I just copied the
entry I used for FreeServe and changed the relevant identifiers.

I'd guess that your registration just hasn't made it onto their dialup
authentication servers yet.  If you still can't connect with Windows after
a decent interval, start hassling them -- the registration helpline is 0845
650 4044.

Hope to hear about your successful connection tomorrow :-)

	Scott