troubleshooting not working !!

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Sat Jul 29 15:21:20 BST 2000

fasi74 wrote:

> Although i have reinstall my BSD & now every thing is fine but dont wana go
> through this again ....
>
> what should  have i done ?

I always install shells from the ports collection (usually tcsh).

Then, assuming I am changing the default shell for root, I do this

1) log on as root at the console (text) screen
2) run vipw to edit the password file and change the shell for the user
you want to change
   - or run chsh
3) DO NOT exit this shell. Stay logged in after editing vipw

4) Use ALT+F2 to change to a new text screen.
5) log in on this screen.
This will test the new shell you have set up.

If you can log in, the everything is OK
If you cannot log in, you know your setup of the new shell is incorrect.

6) Press ALT+F1 to switch back to the original screen where you are
still logged
in as root.
re-run vipw (or chsh) to fix any mistakes.

The key to this is to keep at least one 'root' login open at all times.

Roger