X on a laptop

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Sat Jul 29 09:21:14 BST 2000

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 09:03:33AM +0100, Charles Brewster wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking at putting FreeBSD 4.0 on my Advent 7340 laptop (PC World OEM
> brand I think).
>
> When I previously installed Linux on it ISTR that enthusiasm ran out when I
> couldn't find an X server to work on it unless I went out and bought an
> upgrade to Xi AcceleratedX.
>
> Does anyone know if there are add-ons for XFree86 to support a laptop
> graphics chipset?

Do you know what chipset the laptop has? Most modern ones seem to use the
Neomagic one which does work under XFree86 (I have it working on a Sony Vaio
and a Tosh Portege).

I believe part of the problems is getting hold of the technical details to
write support, it can sometimes be quite hard unless you're prepared to sign
NDAs / pay for the privilege. That's why the commercial solution exists.

Even if the Advent doesn't use the NeoMagic, it may still be possible to get it
going, so do let us know what it is.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford