shell not present

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 15:14:16 BST 2000

fasi74 wrote:

> i recently gave a command to change my default shell
> which was not present there now the system wont let me login
> when i give user id & password it says
> /usr/..../bin/bash not found 7 returns me to login prompt ????
> what should i do ?

I assume you have changed the shell for user "root".
And that you do not have any other user accounts which
you can log in with (and SU to root)

There are two options here

The best option is to boot from the boot floppies or
from the CD-ROM and run the Fix-It/Repair mode.
You can then access your hard disk and change the shell
back to one you have.

Roger