working behind a proxy/firewall

Martin Hopkins martin.hopkins at insignia.com
Mon Jul 24 12:30:58 BST 2000

    Paul> Thanks to Nik and Martin for the responses. Here's how I did it in the end, and
    Paul> this works for ports and pkg_add -r. I read man fetch and figured it out from
    Paul> there. Of all the places!

    Paul> 1. configure networking - add the interface by using /stand/sysinstall to find
    Paul> the DHCP server and configure the ip address (incidentally it's a bit strange
    Paul> but I have to do this every time I reboot as ifconfig -a shows I dont have an IP
    Paul> address - even though sysinstall is recording the IP address of the DHCP server
    Paul> and making a record of it in my config files (forgotten where). That shouldnt be
    Paul> the case, should it? After I come out of /stand/sysinstall and do ifconfig -a
    Paul> then the IP address has been fetched.

You need to run the dhcp client at startup.  Make sure your network
interface is listed in network_interfaces in /etc/rc.conf and specify
dhcp as the ifconfig flag. e.g

		network_interfaces="ed0 lo0"
		ifconfig_ed0="dhcp"

assuming your network interface is ed0

Good luck,

Martin

Martin Hopkins                      | martin.hopkins at insignia.com
Insignia Solutions Plc,             | martin at uk.freebsd.org
The Mercury Centre, Wycombe Lane    | Tel: (+44) 1628 539537
Wooburn Green, Bucks, HP10 0HH, UK. | Fax: (+44) 1628 539501