working behind a proxy/firewall

Paul.Newman at pgen.com Paul.Newman at pgen.com
Mon Jul 24 12:12:58 BST 2000

Thanks to Nik and Martin for the responses. Here's how I did it in the end, and
this works for ports and pkg_add -r. I read man fetch and figured it out from
there. Of all the places!

1. configure networking - add the interface by using /stand/sysinstall to find
the DHCP server and configure the ip address (incidentally it's a bit strange
but I have to do this every time I reboot as ifconfig -a shows I dont have an IP
address - even though sysinstall is recording the IP address of the DHCP server
and making a record of it in my config files (forgotten where). That shouldnt be
the case, should it? After I come out of /stand/sysinstall and do ifconfig -a
then the IP address has been fetched.

2. export the following environment variables

HTTP_PROXY=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XX
# being the IP address and port number of the HTTP proxy server

HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xx:username:password
# you can tell if you need the basic bit by running mozilla and see if it asks
for your username and password for basicrealm if
# you try to go somewhere after telling it your proxy IP number and password.
After basic is your proxy server's IP address
# and port number.

This sets you up for using the HTTP proxy. According to man fetch, HTTP proxies
can also handle FTP.

For good measure I added the following  (They might not be needed but I havent
tried it without them)

HTTP_AUTH=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xx
# being the same address and port as the http proxy server

FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=Y

FTP_PASSIVE=Y

FTP_PASSWORD=my.email at my.domain
# my proxy server passes an illegal email address to ftp servers otherwise
(user at localhost)

FETCH_BEFORE_ARGE=-p
#dunno what that does

This seems to work for fetching stuff using ports now.

By the way, I installed 4.0 release and then applied the 4.0-update package to
update my ports collection to the latest one. Now I have not been successful in
doing a make install of some packages - compiles fail (enlightenment 0.16-3)or
it claims the makefile is not tarrying with the source (sawmill/sawfish - yes I
can provide the exact output if needed). Is that sort of stuff common with ports
or could it be me? Should I email the maintainer if this happens?

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000