X windows problem

Martin Hopkins martin.hopkins at insignia.com
Mon Jul 24 08:49:17 BST 2000

    Ben> faisal wrote:

    >> I am trying to use this x windows with my freebsd 4 but cant
    >> get it to work ok i configured xconfig visual is ok but there
    >> is no windows manager like gnome & kde how do i install them &
    >> run it with xwindows ?

    Ben> Slow down a bit, and break your mail up into sentences. :-)

    Ben> If you have a FreeBSD CD-ROM, look under /cdrom/packages/x11.
    Ben> I think the KDE package is kde-1.1.tgz or something, gnome is
    Ben> probably something similar.

    Ben> If you don't have the CD, you can either download the package
    Ben> (/pub/FreeBSD/packages on an FTP mirror, IIRC) or you can use
    Ben> the ports collection.  After installing the ports collection,
    Ben> do

    Ben> 	# cd /usr/ports/x11/kde11
    Ben> 	 (or /usr/ports/x11/kde2)
    Ben> 	# make install clean

    Ben> And that will fetch, compile, and install KDE for you.  It's probably
    Ben> quite a big download though...

Perhaps the easiest option is to use sysinstall.

		1. Run /stand/sysinstall
		2. Select configure
		3. Select Desktop
		4. Select KDE

You'll then be prompted for installation media etc.

    Ben> To run it, just create an ~/.xinitrc file which says something like

    Ben> exec startkde

    Ben> (I don't use KDE, so I'm not sure of the exact details, but
    Ben> that's the basic idea.)

Not sure what sysinstall does w.r.t this, I think it modifies
/root/.{xinitrc,xsession} (root configuration files) and
/usr/share/skel/dot.{xinitrc,xsession} (used by adduser(8)) from a two
second look in the source.

Martin