X windows problem

Ben Smithurst ben at scientia.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 03:09:16 BST 2000

faisal wrote:

> I am trying to use this x windows with my freebsd 4 but cant get it to work
> ok i configured xconfig visual is ok but
> there is no windows manager like gnome & kde how do i install them & run it
> with xwindows ?

Slow down a bit, and break your mail up into sentences. :-)

If you have a FreeBSD CD-ROM, look under /cdrom/packages/x11.  I think
the KDE package is kde-1.1.tgz or something, gnome is probably something
similar.

If you don't have the CD, you can either download the package
(/pub/FreeBSD/packages on an FTP mirror, IIRC) or you can use the ports
collection.  After installing the ports collection, do

	# cd /usr/ports/x11/kde11
	 (or /usr/ports/x11/kde2)
	# make install clean

And that will fetch, compile, and install KDE for you.  It's probably
quite a big download though...

To run it, just create an ~/.xinitrc file which says something like

exec startkde

(I don't use KDE, so I'm not sure of the exact details, but that's the
basic idea.)

--
Ben Smithurst / ben at scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D