Outage: cvsup.uk.FreeBSD.org.

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Wed Jul 19 14:52:00 BST 2000

> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 01:44:43PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > Perhaps the simplest load-balancing trick would be to make cvsup.*
> > into changing CNAMEs and have cvsup?.* fixed as they are currently ?
> > That way, people that don't care and run cvsup infrequently can just
> > use cvsup, whereas people who care could figure out which cvsup?.*
> > they actually want to use....
>
> Not until jdp fixes cvsup/cvsupd to avoid backing out of patches.
> At the moment it you cvsup from a server that's out of date cvsup
> will back the changes out.  Once jdp's fixed this we can cluster
> cvsup servers, but not before.

Yes, I'm aware of this (remember the conversations in Newcastle?).
That's why I suggested that cvsup.* be the only moving target - to
catch all of the people that go no further than picking the right
country.  It would be nice to encourage people to ``pick a random
server'' rather than ``pick the first server'', but I guess this
half-baked solution would just result in everyone picking cvsup1.

I'll go away now...