Newbies Questions Continued

george.russell at clara.net george.russell at clara.net
Tue Jul 18 21:49:12 BST 2000

Progress

One CD and Soundcard, fully supported, afaik. Not tested midi, but
wav /mp3 is fine. Netcard found with ed0 and no parameters.

The matcd.c as someone pointed out, needs edited, to replace all
occurrences of matcdc with matcd before it will work. The fact that
someone knew this means likely that someone has noticed for 4.1
to do this, but if not (where to check? a web CVS front end?),
where do I send this file? The maintainer doesn't seem to have
touched it since 95, according to the changelog included.

Questions

Can someone send me a vanilla ppp.conf file? Chainsaw
configuration happened to mine.

"put '/usr/sbin/ppp -auto papchap' in my /etc/rc.local to start on
bootup" The auto means what? It'll sit in the bg, and at the first
sign of attempting to reach the net will dial out? Is there a way to
(ok there is, but what ;-)) to need to explicitly dial out? I don't want
to start ICQ and have it open a connection automatically, or when I
misconfigure wwwoffle for it to dial spontaneously.

How do I stop system messages scribbling on consoles where I
have say, links, or vi open on i.e. whenever I login as root to
another terminal a line appears saying that root just logged in

(yes, I do have a user account. Just configuring so much I haven't
been in it more then, oh, twice)

TIA
George Russell