Proliferation of Mailing Lists

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Tue Jul 18 21:45:42 BST 2000

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 06:13:33PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > > Up until now setting up a seperate questions list has tried to be avoided as
> > > we do run the risk of people missing out on important announcements.
> >
> > announce at uk.freebsd.org
> > chat at uk.freebsd.org
> > questions at uk.freebsd.org
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Personally I'm not a big fan of encouraging questions on a chat list.
>
> If people feel that these are appropriate, let me know.  storm is MX
> for uk.FreeBSD.org and has a virtusertable that can be updated easily.

Can I put my hand up for *NOT* having any more mailing lists, at least not yet.
Let's work out if we're getting maximum use out of the ones we have before
we go mailing list crazy.

I can see Lee's reasoning about having lists for the regions but I would urge
against that as that'll mean having to monitor all the regional lists just in
case there is something going on somewhere where someone might be on business.
Much easier to use [TAGS] in the subject lines. Less chance of things occuring
in isolation that way too.

Just my 0.2c.

Neil.

--