More Newbies Questions

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Tue Jul 18 15:21:03 BST 2000

> On the TODO list then - ppp is up, just in a painful and long winded
> way.
>
> As root, start ppp
>
> set device /dev/cuaa1
> set speed 38400
> set authname myname
> set authkey mypass
> term
> at
> atdt mynum
> add! default HISTADDR
>
> Can then ping, browse etc.
>
> /etc/hosts and resolv.conf seem setup right.
>
> Following the handbook / pedantic ppp primer gets me a chat
> script that fails.

What chat script did you try ?  What did the log say when you ``set
log +chat'' ?

> Suggestions for automating the above are welcomed.
>
> Has anyone setup KDE's ppp dialer app on FreeBSD?

I think it only works with pppd.

> > tun* should be there. 'ifconfig -a' will give you a complete list
> > of available drivers.
>
> This will need updating for the handbook. I think the handbook
> refers to 3.4, now that I read the first page.
>
> So. I'll update docs on
>
> matcd0
> ifconfig -a for tun devices
> controller for device
> ppp dialing - see man ppp, Its easier to understand than the primer,
> handbook and FAQ together, and does step by step guide too.

I must admit, I only really maintain the ppp man page in line with
the sources.  The handbook & primer are probably well out of date.
Even the man page is out of date WRT if_tun.ko being auto-loaded.

[.....]
> Thanks in advance
> George Russell
> Registered Linux User 61117