More Newbies Questions

Mark Blackman mark.blackman at dircon.net
Tue Jul 18 09:29:02 BST 2000

Fortunately, it needn't be very longwinded if you have fairly standard
hardware and standard access provider.

1)  put '/usr/sbin/ppp -auto papchap' in my /etc/rc.local to start on bootup
and
2) a) copy the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf (if its not there already) and
   b) edit the line + line speed under defaults and the
   c) phonenumber + authname + authkey under the papchap entry.

It was quite literally 5 minutes to get this going for me. If the
above procedure doesn't work for you, I'd be happy to help. I was
under the erroneous impression you had more fundamental problems than
this.

Netscape hangs or dies regardless of platform in my experience.
I'd say no worse and no better than the Linux version.

Port updates depends on the maintainers. KDE is pretty popular so I'd expect
within a couple of weeks of release. not that I'm a fan of bloatware
like KDE. is 1.90 really broken?

Did you find anything about matcd on the mailling lists? You really
shouldn't take my word for it that they are not supported properly.

- Mark Blackman