More Newbies Questions

Ben Smithurst ben at scientia.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 18 02:13:14 BST 2000

--G44BJl3Aq1QbV/QL

george.russell at clara.net wrote:

> As root, start ppp

I believe you can add yourself to group 'network', and add a command
'allow users george' or whatever, so you don't have to run it as root.
This is what Brian said at Oxford anyway, I've never done this myself,
but I have no reason to doubt he's right. ;-)

> set device /dev/cuaa1
> set speed 38400
> set authname myname
> set authkey mypass
> term
> at
> atdt mynum
> add! default HISTADDR
>=20
> Can then ping, browse etc.
>=20
> /etc/hosts and resolv.conf seem setup right.
>=20
> Following the handbook / pedantic ppp primer gets me a chat=20
> script that fails.
>=20
> Suggestions for automating the above are welcomed.

Well, here's my ppp.conf for Demon, if it helps at all...

default:
 set redial 20 10
 set device /dev/modem
 set speed 115200
 set server /var/run/ppp "" 0117
 set log Phase Chat Connect LCP IPCP CCP tun LQM
 set timeout 54
 set filter dial 0 deny 0 0
 set dial "\
        ABORT NO\\sDIALTONE \
        ABORT ERROR \
        ABORT BUSY \
        ABORT NO\\sCARRIER \
        TIMEOUT 10 \"\" \
        ATZ OK-ATZ-OK \
        ATE0Q0L1M1W2X4S91=3D15S95=3D40&C1&D2%E1 OK \
        AT+MS=3D12,1,28800,46667 OK \
        ATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"
 set hangup "TIMEOUT 10 NO\\sCARRIER AT&V1 OK"

# Demon Internet Ltd.
demon:
# set phone 08452120666 # green -- DAYTIME EVENING *
 set phone 08452120666 # green -- DAYTIME EVENING *
# set phone 08453505033 # black -- DAYTIME EVENING
# set phone 08452121666 # purple -- DAYTIME EVENING
# set phone 08450798666 # red -- DAYTIME EVENING
# set phone 01142389666 # sheffield -- DAYTIME EVENING
 set authname scientia
 set authkey <snip>
 set ifaddr 212.228.14.13 158.152.1.222/0
 add! 212.228.14.13 127.0.0.1

(ignore the comments after the phone numbers, that's for something else.)

I don't need a login chat script, PPP uses PAP to authenticate with Demon.

> So. I'll update docs on
>=20
> matcd0
> ifconfig -a for tun devices
> controller for device

I fixed a couple of those in the FAQ, but there were others.

> ppp dialing - see man ppp, Its easier to understand than the primer,=20
> handbook and FAQ together, and does step by step guide too.
>=20
> I'll do this when I've finally setup all the stuff. Just email the=20
> maintainers so I don't need SGML tools etc installed?

If you could install the SGML source (cvsup the 'doc-all' collection),
send a diff to that.  If you install the SGML tools so you can test
it, just send-pr the patch.  If you can't test it, either send-pr
it explaining that it's not tested and why it's not tested, or just
send it to me and I'll look at it.  If you don't want to install the
whole SGML source, you could grab just the file you want to edit (see
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/>) and edit and send a diff
from that.

If you decide to cvsup doc-all, you may want to use this refuse file:

doc/de
doc/de_*
doc/es
doc/es_*
doc/fr
doc/fr_*
doc/ja
doc/ja_*
doc/nl
doc/nl_*
doc/ru
doc/ru_*
doc/zh
doc/zh_*

So you don't get the non-English docs, which would most likely be a
waste of space for you.

> Can anyone recommend a good GUI ICQ program for FreeBSD?

I use licq.  I don't use ICQ much, but this was the nicest one I found.

> Experiences with Netscape on FreeBSD?

Crashes a lot.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben at scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D