More Newbies Questions

george.russell at clara.net george.russell at clara.net
Mon Jul 17 23:00:48 BST 2000

On 16 Jul 2000, at 16:22, Mark Blackman wrote:
> the documentation is brought up to date by a team
> of over-worked volunteers. either file a PR (using 'send-pr')
> or better yet, submit some patches that correct the documentation.

On the TODO list then - ppp is up, just in a painful and long winded
way.

As root, start ppp

set device /dev/cuaa1
set speed 38400
set authname myname
set authkey mypass
term
at
atdt mynum
add! default HISTADDR

Can then ping, browse etc.

/etc/hosts and resolv.conf seem setup right.

Following the handbook / pedantic ppp primer gets me a chat
script that fails.

Suggestions for automating the above are welcomed.

Has anyone setup KDE's ppp dialer app on FreeBSD?

> tun* should be there. 'ifconfig -a' will give you a complete list
> of available drivers.

This will need updating for the handbook. I think the handbook
refers to 3.4, now that I read the first page.

So. I'll update docs on

matcd0
ifconfig -a for tun devices
controller for device
ppp dialing - see man ppp, Its easier to understand than the primer,
handbook and FAQ together, and does step by step guide too.

I'll do this when I've finally setup all the stuff. Just email the
maintainers so I don't need SGML tools etc installed?

My netcard works fine with GENERIC, using ed0
The soundcard can wait.

Can anyone recommend a good GUI ICQ program for FreeBSD?

Can FreeBSD mount minix file systems ;- ) One floppy disc.... with
Zork on it! I don't think so, but maybe.

I'm quite impressed to see the Inform compiler supplied as a
package.

Experiences with Netscape on FreeBSD? I note the linux version is
supplied as well....

How long does it take for a port to be made? KDE 1.92 is due out
in ~1 week...

Last time I searched ports, they only had 1.90

Thanks in advance
George Russell
Registered Linux User 61117
Slashdot User 260

And for the record, beer and curry are good for user group
meetings. But meeting in bookshops with cafes is better. SLUG in
Glasgow meet in borders bookshop, then go down the pub, afaik.