[LONG] FreeBSD UK User Group - The state of the nation?

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 17 07:21:15 BST 2000

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 11:19:20PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
<snip>

"Beer and curry" -- I've been talking to some of the US user group
organisers this past week.  Things run roughly the same way.  The biggest
difference is that some of them (like BAFUG, the Bay Area group) hire a
hall and get pizza delivered instead.

As Neil says, it's the logistics of trying to get 40+ people around a table
and agreeing to a type of food.

> Interestingly some numbers came to light at the weekend. The UK user group has
> nearly 450 members, the mailing list has 120 subscribers and if you were to
> look through the archives you would think that we only consisted of probably
> two dozen people.
>
> So the interesting questions are;
>  Why do nearly less than 25% of the members subscribe to the list?

The other 75% just like the mail address and shell account, and have no
real interest in contributing?  No idea if it's true, but it's my working
thesis.

>  What can we do to get more people involved? (more on that one later)

Try and kickstart more events?

>  What impression does the small number of posters give?

Dunno.  -doc has a small number of posters, but I know from the amount of
private e-mail I receive (that invariably starts "I didn't think this was
worth bothering -doc with, but I thought you might want to know") there
are many more readers than posters.

announce at uk.freebsd.org
chat at uk.freebsd.org
questions at uk.freebsd.org

?

Personally I'm not a big fan of encouraging questions on a chat list.