sendmail n'stuff

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Fri Jul 14 23:59:24 BST 2000

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 09:48:48PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> I'd argue that the same's true for sendmail (given m4 files) :-)
>
> But then, I prefer sendmail 'cos I know it, and I only know it
> because it's on most unix boxes (so I need to know it)...

I'd disagree.  Have a look at the documentation on www.postfix.org for
the postfix configuration.  Then have a look at
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README.  Sendmail's configuration is so
non-intuitive, even with the M4 process that Sendmail Inc. can make
money by selling tools to work around it.  I personally find that most
of the sendmail options are confusingly named, too (what does
use_cw_file actually mean, anyway?[1]).  On top of that quite a few of
sendmail's configuration options don't mix well.  Just look in
.../cf/m4/proto.m4 to see how your rules are modified by the various
options.  They don't all do what you expect...[2]

Although, as you say, it's already on most boxes, so one does have to
get to know it somewhat.  :-(

--
Try Zope!	http://www.zope.org/

[1] Rhetorical question, I know what it does, thank you.

[2] Guess who's just had to reverse engineer a sendmail.cf file to get a
    .mc file from one that's been extensively modified.  Yech.  I have
    lots of bile for this.