2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?

Dominic Mitchell dom at happygiraffe.net
Fri Jul 14 22:56:45 BST 2000

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 08:08:56AM +0100, Simon Clayton wrote:
> On the topic of replacing Windows, I have a problem - namely that my
> company does web development and the great masses out there have a
> preference for IE.  This starts to be a big problem when I want to run X
> on my Sony F409 as I have to test mainly in IE and Netscape is so bloody
> inconsistent from one version to the next (mostly JavaScript).
>
> I remember seeing IE on X but I think that might have been Solaris - any
> ideas?  Any way to get IE to run on FreeBSD X? I know Microsoft are a
> pain in the arse for a lot of things but <asking for a slap>I happen to
> like IE better than Netscape</asking for a slap> - unfortunately for
> FreeBSD, so do an awful lot of people and the way the world is going,
> the browser is one of the most important bits of software on the
> machine.

I think somebody else has already mentioned it, but look at VNC.  It's
quite bearable for logginto into a windows machine remotely and doing
stuff like looking at web pages.  I can now quite happily keep my
windows box headless at work.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

--
Try Zope!	http://www.zope.org/