V.Location

Helen McCall helen at dinoflagellate.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 14:11:29 BST 2000

  Send mail to mime at docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01BFED8A.EF72A140

Hello Simon and Tony,

I am writing because you both now appear to understand what is wrong with
this list.

I am a professional freelance Unix and Internet consultant, with
experience spanning more than thirty years. I provide services to a number
of ISPs and commercial clients. I use several versions of Debian
Gnu/Linux, FreeBSD and BSDi on different machines in various parts of the
world.

Most of the seasoned veteran professionals I personally know are all
female. However when we try to offer the fruits of our experience on any
of the user lists, we tend mostly to either get ignored or attract
appalling flames and sexual propositions from young males who were born
long after we became seasoned veterans.

The freebsd-users list does not help in this, with its "Beer and Curry"
clique appearing to totally dominate any discussion. Some time ago I
worked out that it was best to consign any mail containing the words
"beer" and "curry" straight to /dev/null.

I find the general ethos in the freebsd world so embarassing that I do not
like mentioning the name "Freebsd" to my commercial clients, preferring to
refer to it as "Berkley UNIX" instead. The ethos as seen by myself and
other women is that of teenage boys with all the naivity of youth, getting
drunk on lager, filling up with curry, and then as all women know probably
being sick on the pavement. The name "FreeBSD" tends to conjure up the
image of little pools of vomit in the street!

The "Beer and Curry Clique" is alienating a major sector of the Unix/Linux
world; in the same way that the tedious and irritating "Computer Games
Cliques" drove so many women away from computing in the early Nineties.
Even the very professional Debian project tends to put women off with the
amount of flaming on the developers' lists.

Please try and make this list more attractive to the older seasoned
professionals by removing the "Young Lad" image. Please also remember that
us veterans very rarely ask questions on these kind of lists because the
kind of queries we see on the lists are the simple little problems which
we normall solve in a moment due to our enormous wealth of experience;
which is why those of us old enough to be your mothers or grandmothers can
offer some very useful advice, even if we do not know the latest slang.

Helen McCall