Office Suites [Re: 2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?]

Neil Ford maillistsubs at binky.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 12:21:14 BST 2000

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 11:51:25AM +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
> Neil Ford wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 06:57:00PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 04:26:56PM +0100, David Marsh at home wrote:
> > > >

> > [snip]

> > > Applixware for FreeBSD? WordPerfect8 for L****?
> >                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Don't do it! Seriously! The thing runs under WINE as with the exception of
> > WordPervert itself you are basically running the Windows code. It doesn't run
> > particularly quickly. This is not just conjecture, I parted with the 99ukp for
> > a full copy (though I only run it under Linux) so I speak from experience.
>
> I've heard this said before but the last time I ran WordPerfect under
> FreeBSD it ran as a Linux app, I didn't notice Wine being involved at
> all. Unless WordPerfect has Wine built into it and I was actually
> running a hidden copy of Wine under Linux, with WordPerfect on top of
> that.
>
> I'd also heard that Corel were spending a lot of money on getting Wine
> working to support WordPerfect so it seems likely it is running on Wine.
>
> Anyone know exactly what is going on?

Of course I was talking about Wordperfect Office 2000 and not Wprdperfect 8 :-(

That definitely does use Wine as when I was using it on RH6.2 I had loads of
Wine processes running.

If anyone wants to do some serious investigation then they are free to borrow
my copy as it is currently sitting in it's box unused. Posting the CDs and
manual to someone wouldn't be a problem. I'd want it back at some point but
not in any particular hurry.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford