Office Suites [Re: 2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?]

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 11:51:25 BST 2000

Neil Ford wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 06:57:00PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 04:26:56PM +0100, David Marsh at home wrote:
> > >

> [snip]
>
> > > Definitely a workshop on other (perhaps more FreeBSD-friendly) office
> > > program alternatives would be a goody. I'm keeping my eye on AbiWord for
> > > now, but it's not quite usable yet..
> > >

> > Applixware for FreeBSD? WordPerfect8 for L****?
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Don't do it! Seriously! The thing runs under WINE as with the exception of
> WordPervert itself you are basically running the Windows code. It doesn't run
> particularly quickly. This is not just conjecture, I parted with the 99ukp for
> a full copy (though I only run it under Linux) so I speak from experience.

I've heard this said before but the last time I ran WordPerfect under
FreeBSD it ran as a Linux app, I didn't notice Wine being involved at
all. Unless WordPerfect has Wine built into it and I was actually
running a hidden copy of Wine under Linux, with WordPerfect on top of
that.

I'd also heard that Corel were spending a lot of money on getting Wine
working to support WordPerfect so it seems likely it is running on Wine.

Anyone know exactly what is going on?

Paul.