sendmail n'stuff

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 11:45:55 BST 2000

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 01:51:58PM +0100, Jon Schneider wrote:
> > Could I just mention exim located at http://www.exim.org as a worthy sendmail
> > replacement which I use for all our servers.
>
> As long as I can mention that postfix (/usr/ports/mail/postfix) is
> an excellent mail system.  Written by the guy who writes tcp_wrappers
> and so it's very security conscious, and configuration is very very
> easy also.

I'd highly recommend postfix, it's performance convinced FreeBSD to use
it for handling the huge amounts of mail the project handles, it's
security is designed in from the start and it is *SO EASY* to configure.

Even relatively complex setups, involving many virtual domains and mail
forwarding was a total doddle to setup and is an absolute joy to
maintain.

(total doddle being relative of course, you still need to understand how
mail works to setup a proper mail system, but you don't have to work out
how the hell sendmail works as well)

Paul.