V.Location

jimsinn007 jimsinn007 at netscapeonline.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 10:47:57 BST 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BFED80.F8DA0DE0

</snip>

I agree totally - when I first joined this list I got two impressions

1.  Nothing much happens on it

2.  The Newcastle meet was a bunch of mates going for a piss up!

I'm sure some people will disagree but that is what I thought.  When
the talk started of the Oxford meet I started to get more interested
as it sounded a whole level more professional.

I also think that -questions is far too busy for an average IT=20
professional, there are a LOT of mails on that list and I actually
stayed subscribed for a couple of months but then got bored with
the questions which had no relevance to me.  This is an eternal=20
problem, when I used to read the Novell Instructors forum you got a
lot of people asking stupid questions which again meant that I stopped
reading the list.

My point is that firstly the UKUG list is valid and valuable but IMHO
if it gets too busy people will unsubscribe - therefore, we also need=20
to have a UKUG-questions list where we can start a more active UK=20
community.

Just my two penneth!

Simon Clayton

Hi Simon, I felt the need to mention in all probability without the =
little gathering in Newcastle, manchester, Glasgow and other places over =
the last few years, that can in the eyes of some be described as a piss =
up, the meeting in OXFORD would perhaps have not taken place.
It takes many a muckle to make a mackle.
=20
Do not be taken in by the=20
snip********
the talk started of the Oxford meet I started to get more interested
as it sounded a whole level more professional.
You would no doubt rush out to buy a loaf of Hovis bread as it looked =
more Healthy. (I hope not)
The point is quite simple , this list has been set up on a shoe string =
budget, it is hosted @ manchester , its aim was to help. It has grown =
alot over the last few years and the topics covered  have widened. The =
logical next step is to have or ask for regional co-ordinators who will =
help with input , meetings and promotional events.
=20
snip.
My point is that firstly the UKUG list is valid and valuable but IMHO
if it gets too busy people will unsubscribe - therefore, we also need=20
to have a UKUG-questions list where we can start a more active UK=20
community.

As you say, and I agree with you it can be improved on, are you willing =
to help ?
Tony Watson : Newcastle

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BFED80.F8DA0DE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;/snip&gt;<BR><BR>I agree totally - =
when I first=20
joined this list I got two impressions<BR><BR>1.&nbsp; Nothing much =
happens on=20
it<BR><BR>2.&nbsp; The Newcastle meet was a bunch of mates going for a =
piss=20
up!<BR><BR>I'm sure some people will disagree but that is what I =
thought.&nbsp;=20
When<BR>the talk started of the Oxford meet I started to get more=20
interested<BR>as it sounded a whole level more professional.<BR><BR>I =
also think=20
that -questions is far too busy for an average IT <BR>professional, =
there are a=20
LOT of mails on that list and I actually<BR>stayed subscribed for a =
couple of=20
months but then got bored with<BR>the questions which had no relevance =
to=20
me.&nbsp; This is an eternal <BR>problem, when I used to read the Novell =

Instructors forum you got a<BR>lot of people asking stupid questions =
which again=20
meant that I stopped<BR>reading the list.<BR><BR>My point is that =
firstly the=20
UKUG list is valid and valuable but IMHO<BR>if it gets too busy people =
will=20
unsubscribe - therefore, we also need <BR>to have a UKUG-questions list =
where we=20
can start a more active UK <BR>community.<BR><BR>Just my two=20
penneth!<BR><BR>Simon Clayton<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Simon, I felt the need to mention in =
all=20
probability without the little gathering in Newcastle, manchester, =
Glasgow and=20
other places over the last few years, that can in the eyes of some be =
described=20
as a piss up, the meeting in OXFORD would perhaps have not taken=20
place.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It&nbsp;takes many a muckle to make a=20
mackle.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do not be taken in by =
the&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>snip********</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>the talk started of the Oxford meet I =
started to=20
get more interested<BR>as it sounded a whole level more =
professional.<BR>You=20
would no doubt rush out to buy a loaf of Hovis bread as it looked more =
Healthy.=20
(I hope not)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The point is quite simple , this list =
has been set=20
up on a shoe string budget, it is hosted @ manchester , its aim was to =
help. It=20
has grown alot over the last few years and the topics covered&nbsp; have =

widened. The logical next step is to have or ask for regional =
co-ordinators who=20
will help with input , meetings and promotional events.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>snip.<BR>My point is that firstly the =
UKUG list is=20
valid and valuable but IMHO<BR>if it gets too busy people will =
unsubscribe -=20
therefore, we also need <BR>to have a UKUG-questions list where we can =
start a=20
more active UK <BR>community.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As you say, and I agree with you it can =
be improved=20
on, are you willing to help ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tony Watson&nbsp;:=20
Newcastle<BR><BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01BFED80.F8DA0DE0--