2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 13 01:52:36 BST 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 12:04:32PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> With the first UK conference only a couple of days old, word is already out
> that a second is being planned for November 2000. Obviously no details of
> where or when are available yet, but that doesn't stop us starting to plan.
>
> I would like to propose that we aim for a theme to the presentations to give
> the event some focus.
>
> My suggestion is;
>   MS Windows: Living with it, living without it.

As a heads-up:  I fully intend (i.e., have said I will, and it's appeared
on some of the BSDCon literature, so I can't back out now) to do a
presentation along these lines at BSDCon.

In a nutshell, I'll take 3 or 4 machines.  1 virgin FreeBSD box, 1 or
two virgin Windows boxes, and a Windows laptop.  Coupled with a printer,
a modem (fax/data) and an Internet connection I'll take 2 to 2 and a half
hours to show how you can tie all the various applications together
(sendmail, popper, squid, fetchmail, samba, apache, mrtg+snmp and a few
others) to produce an office server, and integrate that server in to an
existing Windows environment.

I'll have to gloss over a few things (canned configuration scripts will be
the order of the day) but that's the basic idea.

I'm more than willing to do this again.  I can take a leaf from Paul's book,
although this time BSDCon can be the rehearsal for the UKUG rather than the
other way around.