2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Thu Jul 13 19:04:24 BST 2000

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 04:27:00PM +0100, David Marsh at home wrote:

> On 12-Jul-00 Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking about a topic I could offer to talk about at the next
> > conference and decided on the Ports (what they are, how they work,
> > keeping up to date, and something about "undocumented" features).
> > Anyway, if the Windows thing doesn't prevail then consider this a firm
> > offer from me.
>

> That would be excellent too!
>
> Perhaps if that could be expanded to "keeping up to date" in general?
>
> I'm still running 3.2, and I've noticed recently that various recent ports
> from freebsd.org seem to have a different port/makefile format which means
> that I can't install them.
>
> I sense that a major system upgrade will be in the offing soon, and
> naturally this strikes fear into my heart. :-(
>
> I've read about CVSup and CTM, but I don't know if these are really viable
> options over a modem (thoughts of downloading hundreds of megabytes of
> stuff, when I only have 35 hours of 'free' internet time, and flatmates who
> want to use the phone ;-)

That's what put me off for so long. I read that the source tree was
over 200MB, but if you've got the CDs just install the sources from
there, install cvsup and start using it. The first time you run cvsup
you should run it with a special tag
(http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html#adopt) to
build a checkout file for the sources *you* have, then run it again
(without the special tag) to upgrade.

Those first 2 runs may take a couple of hours each, but after that it
shouldn't take much longer than 10-15 mins max if you run it a couple
of times a week.

Go on, take the plunge :)