Venue location

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Thu Jul 13 18:48:44 BST 2000

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 12:05:52PM +0100, jimsinn007 wrote:
> There are many people in this group who are neither funded
> students or waged.
> They are still members of this group, as such they should
> not be steam rollered in to missing meetings..
> Lets hold on to our horses for a few moments and think about
> this ............
>
> INPUT IS NEEDED FROM ALL MEMBERS OF THIS GROUP NOT JUST A
> FEW WHO CAN AFFORD TO ATTEND MEETINGS.
> IS THAT NOT THE PHILOSOPHY BEHIND FREEBSD AFTER ALL
> PERHAPS I HAVE UNDERSTOOD INCORECTLY THE REASON I FOLLOW
> THIS LIST.

There is no need to shout :)

> Meetings need to be attended by the masses not just the
> lucky few, I do not have the answer to the problem of
> location and mass attendance as such but I do know without
> such a king pin to revolve around this group will need to
> change ....... what came first the group or the meeting?

I appreciate what you're saying, but we can't have a policy of "If
everyone can't afford to attend, then we won't have meeting". Yes, I
was able to go to Oxford, but it was financial considerations that
prevented me attending the meeting in your neck of the woods a couple
of months ago; did you get to that one? There was a good turn-out of
key people (Brian, Nik, and, IIRC, Paul to mention a few) there.

> I would have liked to attend the meeting in oxford like many
> others , and respect the work put in to the organisation of
> it by several people but the simple fact was in my case I
> had no money...... Im sure Im not the only person to suffer
> from this disability either.
> So please , anyone else with views on this point speak up.

What exactly are you proposing we substitute for meetings? There was a
thread not too long ago about organizing regional meetings, which
would address the cost issue to a greater or lesser extent for many.

One thing *I* would suggest is that we use this list more; post
questions here instead of (or as well as) -questions. That would help
to inject more life into the UG. Much of the time this list is almost
dead, so newcomers are likely to form the opinion that nothing ever
happens round here.

Also, Lee announced the creation of a new list a couple of months ago
(dogma-chat, or ukug-chat, or something) to which I subscribed
immediately, set up a mailbox for it, and set up a procmail filter;
the mailbox is still zero bytes.