2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?

David Marsh at home drmarsh at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 13 16:27:02 BST 2000

On 12-Jul-00 Wood, Richard wrote:

> I would find an idiots guide to X11 and Window Managers useful,
> especially as I've only just started playing around with XFree86.

http://www.plig.org/~xwinman/

is a good place to start for a comparison of Window Managers, with
screenshots, feature lists, and links to official sites.

For most modern window managers, you can just install the port, and then
put:

exec groovywm

(for an appropriate value of groovywm) in your .xinitrc, and then configure
the rest from within the WM.

Admittedly, some of the older WMs such as TWM and FVWM95 do have rather
grotty config files to set up their appearance, which take a litte bit of
getting used to, but I've been pleasantly surprised just how easy to get
going some of the newer WMs are.

I have to confess that I just haven't sussed out how Gnome actually 'works'
yet!

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh at bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 7980 241981   |