2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?

David Marsh at home drmarsh at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 13 16:27:00 BST 2000

On 12-Jul-00 Mark Ovens wrote:

> I was thinking about a topic I could offer to talk about at the next
> conference and decided on the Ports (what they are, how they work,
> keeping up to date, and something about "undocumented" features).
> Anyway, if the Windows thing doesn't prevail then consider this a firm
> offer from me.

That would be excellent too!

Perhaps if that could be expanded to "keeping up to date" in general?

I'm still running 3.2, and I've noticed recently that various recent ports
from freebsd.org seem to have a different port/makefile format which means
that I can't install them.

I sense that a major system upgrade will be in the offing soon, and
naturally this strikes fear into my heart. :-(

I've read about CVSup and CTM, but I don't know if these are really viable
options over a modem (thoughts of downloading hundreds of megabytes of
stuff, when I only have 35 hours of 'free' internet time, and flatmates who
want to use the phone ;-)

Discussion of all the upgrading options, including how to do an 'in-place'
upgrade from CD (without breaking anything), etc, would be really useful, I
think..

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh at bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 7980 241981   |