2nd UK User Conference - call for papers?

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Wed Jul 12 12:04:32 BST 2000

With the first UK conference only a couple of days old, word is already out
that a second is being planned for November 2000. Obviously no details of
where or when are available yet, but that doesn't stop us starting to plan.

I would like to propose that we aim for a theme to the presentations to give
the event some focus.

My suggestion is;
  MS Windows: Living with it, living without it.

A fair number of us have to co-exist with Microsoft products and hearing about
other people's experiences I think would be good. And of course, Nik can give
us his Scandisk presentation again :-)

Subjects covered could include:
  VMware
  Samba
  WINE
  Office suite replacements to MS Office and how to exchange data with MS
    Office users
  Connecting Palm handhelds to FreeBSD (for those who wish to leave Windows
    completely behind.
  How people have mananged ti intergrate FreeBSD and Windows in a work
    environmment.

I'm more than happy to tackle at least of one of these (as I'm trying to
completely stop using Windows I suspect I'll have had experience of all of them
by November) but I do think a selection of speakers would be a good idea.

So what do people think? A good idea or a pile of pants? Too focused or not
focused enough? Speak up people, let everyone know what you think.

For these events to be a success, people have got to want to attend (and not
just for the beer and curry :-) ), so what would make *you* attend? The more
ideas people through out the more everyone has to go on.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford (neil.ford at dk.com)
Network Manager, Dorling Kindersley Family Learning Ltd.