Oxford Meeting Summary

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Sun Jul 9 22:16:37 BST 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01BFE9F3.597F4160

Hi,
Well I really enjoyed the Oxford meeting.
I hope all of you that could not make it will be able to come to the =
next meeting as you missed a great day.
Here is a writeup of the meeting, which I'll also put on the UKUG web =
site.

Summary
 - Talks from Brian (Device drivers), Brian (Using PPP) Joe (CVS and =
source code)
 - Nik gets hired by BSDi and gives a BSDi talk
 - Netcraft show FreeBSD stats
 - New company FreeBSD Services Launched
 - Beer + Curry

8th July - Oxford UKUG meeting.
The day consisted of three main parts, the talks, some business =
announcements and the traditional beer+curry.

We hosted a mini conference this time, with 3 guest speakers (all UK =
FreeBSD committers). Over 40 people attended the meeting which lasted =
all day.

Paul Richards gave us a talk on the new API for Device Drivers. This was =
an excellent talk and the new API is part of the system where you can =
load and unload device drivers without needing to compile special =
kernels and reboot.

After lunch Brian Somers gave a talk on Using PPP (which he writes).
Brian explained how you can use PPP for more than dialing your ISP.
PPP tunnels via http proxies to bypass firewalls was very interesting =
and showed what tricks you could get up to with PPP.

And Joe Karsuf did his talk on Using CVS to get the latest source code =
for FreeBSD. This allows us to run the latest -stable version of FreeBSD =
(or -current development version if we want) without waiting for the =
next CD-ROM release.
Joe explained the version control system we use and how you can browse =
the previous versions via the CVSWeb interface.

The talks were all well presented and gave a nice mix of both technical =
level and user level talks. There were lots of audience questions during =
the talks and I'm sure everyone learned something. Paul, Brian and Joe =
all used StarOffice on their FreeBSD powered laptops to produce their =
slides. StarOffice (which is free) runs via the linux emulator. All the =
laptops ran FreeBSD 5.0-current too.
Thanks go to Mark Ovens for letting us borrow his projector.

Nik Clayton then gave a talk on BSDi in the UK and Europe and announced =
that he had been hired by BSDi to be their "technology evangelist", =
helping BSDi grow the FreeBSD marketplace in both the UK and Europe. =
Congratulations Nik.
Netcraft Ltd then gave us a presentation on FreeBSD's market share of =
web servers. We are 4th, behind Microsoft, Solaris and Linux, but =
gaining market share.

Finally Nik announced a new startup company, FreeBSD Services Limited.
This is made from 6 UKUG members who are also committers, and will =
provide support contracts, consultancy, training and development work =
for FreeBSD in the UK. http://www.freebsd-services.co.uk

Nik also announced two UKUG members are being promoted to Committers for =
the FreeBSD project. Congratulations Ben Smithurst and Mark Ovens.

After the meeting we all went for beers in the local pub, and Neil =
bought everyone a drink as it was his birthday. Thanks Neil. (remember =
there were 40 of us)
And then we headed into Oxford town centre for a curry (at the same =
place we went last time) for food and general FreeBSD chats.

So, a great day was had by everyone.

I'll send out a questionaire about how people liked the format
of the day later.
I'll also put up links to copies of the various presentations
where possible.

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
roger at freebsd.org
roger at freebsd-services.co.uk

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01BFE9F3.597F4160

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Well I really enjoyed the Oxford =
meeting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I hope all of you that could not make it will be =
able to come=20
to the next meeting as you missed a great day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here is a writeup of the meeting, which I'll also =
put on the=20
UKUG web site.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Summary</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;- Talks from Brian (Device drivers), Brian =
(Using PPP)=20
Joe (CVS and source code)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;- Nik gets hired by BSDi and gives a BSDi=20
talk</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;- Netcraft show FreeBSD stats</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;- New company FreeBSD Services =
Launched</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;- Beer + Curry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>8th July - Oxford UKUG meeting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The day consisted of three main parts, the talks, =
some=20
business announcements and the traditional beer+curry.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We hosted a mini conference</FONT><FONT size=3D2> =
this time,=20
with 3 guest speakers (all UK FreeBSD committers). Over 40 people =
attended the=20
meeting which lasted all day.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul Richards gave us a talk on the new API for =
Device=20
Drivers. This was an excellent talk and the new API is part of the =
system where=20
you can load and unload device drivers without needing to compile =
special=20
kernels and reboot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After lunch Brian Somers gave a talk on Using PPP =
(which he=20
writes).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Brian explained how you can use PPP for more than =
dialing your=20
ISP.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PPP tunnels via http proxies to bypass firewalls was =
very=20
interesting and showed what tricks you could get up to with =
PPP.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And</FONT><FONT size=3D2> Joe Karsuf did his talk on =
Using CVS=20
to get the latest source code for FreeBSD. This allows us to run the =
latest=20
-stable version of FreeBSD (or -current development version if we want) =
without=20
waiting for the next CD-ROM release.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Joe explained the version control system we use and =
how you=20
can browse the previous versions via the CVSWeb interface.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The talks were all well presented&nbsp;and gave a =
nice mix of=20
both technical level and user level talks. There were lots of audience =
questions=20
during the talks and I'm sure everyone learned something.&nbsp;Paul, =
Brian and=20
Joe all used StarOffice on their FreeBSD powered laptops to =
produc</FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>e their slides. </FONT><FONT size=3D2>StarOffice (which is =
free) runs via=20
the linux emulator. All the laptops ran FreeBSD 5.0-current =
too.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks go to Mark Ovens for letting us borrow his=20
projector.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Nik Clayton then gave a talk on BSDi in the UK and =
Europe and=20
announced that he had been hired by BSDi to be their "technology =
evangelist",=20
helping BSDi grow the FreeBSD marketplace in both the UK and Europe.=20
Congratulations Nik.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Netcraft Ltd then gave us a presentation on =
FreeBSD's market=20
share of web servers. We are 4th, behind Microsoft, Solaris and Linux, =
but=20
gaining market share.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Finally Nik announced a new startup company, FreeBSD =
Services=20
Limited.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This is made from 6 UKUG members who are also =
committers, and=20
will provide support contracts, consultancy, training and development =
work for=20
FreeBSD in the UK. <A=20
href=3D"http://www.freebsd-services.co.uk">http://www.freebsd-services.co=
.uk</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Nik also announced two UKUG members are being =
promoted to=20
Committers for the FreeBSD project. Congratulations Ben Smithurst and =
Mark=20
Ovens.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After the meeting we all went for beers in the local =
pub, and=20
Neil bought everyone a drink as it was his birthday. Thanks Neil. =
(remember=20
there were 40 of us)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And then we headed into Oxford town centre for a =
curry (at the=20
same place we went last time) for food and general FreeBSD =
chats.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>So, a great day was had by everyone.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'll send out a questionaire about how people liked =
the=20
format</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>of the day later.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'll also put up links to copies of the various=20
presentations</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>where possible.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Roger</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>--</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Roger Hardiman</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:roger at freebsd.org">roger at freebsd.org</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:roger at freebsd-services.co.uk">roger at freebsd-services.co.uk=