Scalability of FreeBSD

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 12:10:29 BST 2000

Nick

> > Actually it would be nice if you could install both
> > FreeBSD and Linux and do a head-to-head comparison.
> > (set up something to stress test the machine)
>
> ok, any suggestions?  this machine is here on evaluation only,
> and it's here for another week or so, which doesn't give me much
> time.  however, if someone could suggest a stress-test applicable
> to linux and freebsd, then i'd be happy to give it a try.  it
> would have to be something processor intensive (as opposed to
> disk i/o happy, as that is what this machine is
> geared up for in it's current state)....

I've no idea.
Network transactions would be good.

You could set up a ram drive (use MFS for that)
and copy over a whole load of files to it.

Then you can set up an ftp site and then use the
'fetch' command on varius other machines on your
network to continually get files via ftp.

You may just end up saturating the network though and
not testing CPU power.

> > However, if you can then try FreeBSD 5.0-current as the SMP
> > changes go in, it would be great to see how the
> > FreeBSD vrs Linux comparison unfolds.
>
> /me starts to download 5.0-current...

Well, the SMP changes are only just about to go in.
(although you can get some patches somewhere to try it now.
try the archives of the freebsd-smp mailing list)

> > If you can write up a short report, with some simple
> > graphs, it would make a great Daemon News artical,
> > Slashdot artical or even various linux news sources.
>
> hmmm - but only if freebsd wins (j/k)... :)

Yep

Roger