Oxford Meet - Social aspects?

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Wed Jul 5 20:03:03 BST 2000

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:52:05PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 11:56:47AM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> > Okay, so we know what's happening during the day on Saturday, but
> > what about Saturday night? There has been mention of 'going out
> > for a beer' but none yet of the traditional user group activity
> > 'going for a curry' :-)
> >
> > Would people be up for it? And could someone who knows Oxford
> > better than I like to suggest a restaurant? The place we used last
> > time would be fine and there was a Firkin pub just across the
> > road!
>
> and Firkin good it was too:)
>
> > I just have no idea what the place was called or for that matter
> > where it actually was. Must have been a good night.
> >

> Jamal's Balti House. Can't remember the road (it was behind the
> Radford Hospital). I entered ``jamal balti oxford'' in the Google
> search engine to try and find the address and guess what was at the
> top of the matching list? The page on my website reporting the first
> Oxford bash! I'm famous
>
> I did find http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/guide/oxford.htm if anyone
> fancies going for a Ruby.

Has anyone decided on the location of the Saturday night social?

I've managed to find a room (the last one they had) at the Galaxie
Hotel on Banbury Rd, ~1/2 way between the Moat House and the city
centre.

I'll be driving so if anyone needs transport Moat House -> their hotel
after the conference I should be able to ferry 3 or 4 of you and
possibly to the evening venue provided it (or at least the starting
point) is within walking distance of the Galaxie so I can take my car
back.