Feature request for consideration for FreeBSD

L. Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 3 21:23:09 BST 2000

> > On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 10:07:11AM +0100, L. Cranswick wrote:
> > > Based on Redhat and other Linux distributions (Mandrake 7) -
> > > might it be possible to add a feature into FreeBSD that
> > > during install of X, FreeBSD installer can detect what
> > > graphics card is present, download the optimal version
> > > of X and configure it in the way that the Redhat 6.2 "text"
> > > based installer does.
> >
> > Is this necessary now?  I *thought* (and I don't run it, so could be wrong)
> > that XFree86 4.x now had one binary for all the X servers, and you didn't
> > need to download a specific server any more?
>
> Indeed.
>
> dbt5:/usr/X11R6/bin $ ls -l X
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7 Jun  6 16:00 X -> XFree86

I guess this changes the question to:

Can FreeBSD detect which video card is present
and auto-configure it (as well as the monitor settings
if this is given by the user - Illyama 1574-T, etc)
in the same way Redhat Linux 6.2 can?

(Don't want to take mess with the freebsd machine I have
setup in London - am going back up north on Sunday
where I can play with a spare computer)

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk