Feature request for consideration for FreeBSD

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 3 14:40:59 BST 2000

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 10:07:11AM +0100, L. Cranswick wrote:
> Based on Redhat and other Linux distributions (Mandrake 7) -
> might it be possible to add a feature into FreeBSD that
> during install of X, FreeBSD installer can detect what
> graphics card is present, download the optimal version
> of X and configure it in the way that the Redhat 6.2 "text"
> based installer does.

Is this necessary now?  I *thought* (and I don't run it, so could be wrong)
that XFree86 4.x now had one binary for all the X servers, and you didn't
need to download a specific server any more?

> Mandrake 7 Linux has a very nice "updates" feature (better
> than other versions of Linux I have seen) which at the
> press of a button - goes to a web/ftp site - checks what
> installed programs have been updated (and why they have
> been updated) - and prompts the administrator if they
> wish to update.
>
> Given the FreeBSD installer is very slick for network based
> installs - could there (is there already?) be an option
> in the sysinstall program to check for updated/patched
> programs and then to download/install them?

Tricky.  We don't package updates to programs in this way.  Users are
encouraged to either

  1.  Stick with -RELEASE, doing a binary upgrade to get from -RELEASE to
      -RELEASE.

  2.  Stick with -stable, and "make world".

  3.  Stick with -current, and "make world".

We expressly don't recommend that people update individual binaries in an
ad hoc fashion.

Having said that, if someone wanted to start maintaining binaries that only
differ from those in a -RELEASE by having security patches applied to them
(so that people doing (1) above could safely download them) then that could
probably be rolled in to the install somehow.  Perhaps as a new minimalist
bin distribution?

Someone would need to step up to the plate and start maintaining these
binaries though.