ppp and the redial timer

Richard Smith rdls at jezebel.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 21:24:05 GMT 2000

I'm trying to set up a dial-on-demand profile for my work router, which
will be both resposive, and limit costs under busy/fault conditions.

As it's for peak time use, the idle timer is set to 60s (5p). I
initially set redial to "60+60-1.1 0" and gave it two phone numbers.
With the phone disconnected, I expected to get two dial attempts, 60s
pause, two dial attempts, 120s pause,...

But I got one dial attempt followed by a 60s pause. I've also tried
"60.1" to redial and colon and pipe separated phone numbers, but still
only one dial attempt per 60s. Is the [.next] parameter to redial
supposed to work this way or am I missing something?

BTW, I'm using ppp version 2.24 from the 3.4-RELEASE CD.

Thanks,
Richard Smith

part of /etc/ppp.conf:

default: