ISDN TA recommendations

Josef Karthauser joe at pavilion.net
Thu Jan 27 11:18:47 GMT 2000

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 12:41:26AM +0000, Paul Richards wrote:
> Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> >
> On the other hand, if all you have is a FreeBSD box in your bedroom then
> the added cost of buying a hub and ethernet cards/cabling is going to
> push the cost way past that of an ISDN card. Also, an ISDN card will
> give you fax options which a router will not.

Cisco's do better NAT, but Pipe's do better PPP over ISDN.

> > Like Joe said, avoid TAs, because you basically end up with another
> > serial port limiting your speed, so go for a "proper" ISDN card that can
> > do HDLC, if you don't want to go down the router route.
>
> If you never channel bond then that probably won't be a problem since
> most serial ports will handle 64K. If you want to have the option to use
> 128K though then you're much better off going to a "proper" card.

Also the processor has to inspect each and every byte for escaped control
messages which doesn't need to happen with an HDLC card because they can
be pushed into the ISDN protocol layer.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser	FreeBSD: Take the red pill and we'll show you just how
Technical Manager	deep the rabbit hole goes. (http://www.uk.freebsd.org)