ISDN TA recommendations

Dominic Mitchell dom at myrddin.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 23:13:49 GMT 2000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 03:36:00PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Glancing through the Handbook, I can see a number of ISDN terminal
> adapters ("ISDN modems") are listed as being compatible.
>
> Has anyone got any praise, or horror stories, for any one particular
> model?

Well, if you don't fancy opening up your PC (I'm in lazy mode at the
moment :), then I don't think the Ascend pipeline 50's are much more
expensive than some of the options that other people have mentioned.
I've use them quite extensively at work for a branch network and they're
pretty good.  I've had uptimes of >1yr.  Because they're an ISDN router
that plugs into your ethernet (you don't have ethernet?  Aacck!) they're
pretty nippy too.

Like Joe said, avoid TAs, because you basically end up with another
serial port limiting your speed, so go for a "proper" ISDN card that can
do HDLC, if you don't want to go down the router route.

-Dom