ISDN TA recommendations

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 17:10:33 GMT 2000

Nik

> Glancing through the Handbook, I can see a number of ISDN terminal
> adapters ("ISDN modems") are listed as being compatible.
>
> Has anyone got any praise, or horror stories, for any one particular
> model?

I have 2 ISDN boxes.
1) External Hayes Accura ISDN TA. Great. Fab. Fantastic.
2) Internal BT ISDN card. Actually a rebadged Fritz PCI card.

First I bought the BT PCI card.
We set up i4b. It was happy.
But i4b does not support v.110

i4b supports some voice apps, but the main use is
"PPP on ISDN"

I wanted to support a dial-up line (for a standard text shell)
using ISDN on my FreeBSD box and a Mobile Phone on a laptop.
The Mobile Phones all support v.110 or v.120.

So, we set up the Hayes as an external modem (it has a full AT command
set)
and now I can dial in and get a shell account open in 3 seconds
from the laptop.

The Hayes is 199 pounds in PC World. Expensive, but it avoids all the
i4b setup and works with v.110/v.120

Roger

v.110 is more like your traditional modems where
one modem can connect to another effectivly giving
you a long serial cable via the phone line.

Ok, we bought the BT PCI Internal ISDN TA.
It is just a rebadged Fritz PCI card (infact the nice man at BT tech
support confirmed this for me before I parted with cash).

i4b worked with it. However I abandoned it after just a day.

I was actually dialing up from a Mobile Phone (I work
with Orange) and wanted to establish a dial up connection.

And I wanted to establish a ascii connection, not PPP over ISDN.
So, for that I needed to use v.???  (110 or 120 I think)
i4b does not support v110 or v120 at this time.

So, I bought a 199 pounds Hayes External ISDN TA.
Accura.
It plugs into a COM port.
It works great.

You do not need i4b installed.
It just appears like an external modem.

I can dial up to it from my mobile phone, and get a log in
shell.