Setting the time on a dial-up

Dominic Mitchell dom at myrddin.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 07:35:02 GMT 2000

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 10:27:34PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>    On FreeBSD machine, run "ntpdate ntp.foo.bar" out of the ppp linkup
>    file, every time the link comes up, to make sure the local time is
>    correct (or close to).

This raises an interesting point.  Really, one needs to run ntpdate as
root.  However, normally, I use ppp as myself:

myrddin:~> alias demon
demon='ppp -background demon ; ping demon-du'

And I couldn't find any way to get ntpdate running as root without a
small setuid wrapper?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?

-Dom