Setting the time on a dial-up

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 24 22:27:34 GMT 2000

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 04:13:45PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> timed doesn't provide "time" service, AFAIK, so you need to enable the
> latter in /etc/inetd.conf (I don't know if tardis would want tcp or udp,
> so you may as well enable both).

<smack>

D'oh, I'd completely forgotten about the inetd time service.  Things now
seem to be running smoothly.

To recap:

   On FreeBSD machine, run "timed -M -F `hostname` to start timed(8)
   as a master (possibly with the -i or -n flags to limit the networks
   it talks to).

   On FreeBSD machine, run "ntpdate ntp.foo.bar" out of the ppp linkup
   file, every time the link comes up, to make sure the local time is
   correct (or close to).

   On FreeBSD machine, uncomment the 'time' entries in /etc/inetd.conf,
   and "kill -1 <pid of inetd>"

   On Windows machine, run tardis, or similar, configured to point at the
   "time" port on the Unix machine.

And then everything works nicely.

Cheers,

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell