BIND 8.2.2-P5 is a pain!

Jonathan Belson jon at dookie.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 21:15:01 GMT 2000

Hiya

>> Funny, I've just gotten the same problem - I put the
>> 'ppp -alias -auto demon' line in my rc.conf (is this the best place?)
>> but when I boot the machine, it dials then cuts the connection almost
>> straight away.
>
>I think you may be confused as to the purpose of rc.conf. It is a list
>of environment variables, which are included several times within the

Maybe I was thinking of rc.local from NetBSD....

>That said, I start ppp from my rc.conf file using the following
>statement:
>
>ppp_enable="YES"
>
>This will cause the following command to be executed at the appropriate
>time during the boot up sequence and will hopefully avoid the false
>starts your experiencing.
>
>ppp -auto -nat -quiet papchap
>
>Note that -alias is and alias for -nat and you can change papchap to
>demon by using the following statement in your rc.conf:
>
>ppp_profile="demon"

Didn't know about those options, thanks.

>> Since I intend the machine to be autodialing when I'm not here I
>> want to be sure it won't run up a huge 'phone bill for me.  Is there
>> any way to stop this frivolous packet-bouncing?
>
>Firstly, you should keep records so that you can limit your exposure to
>huge phone bills. If you allow it to dial up during peak time, and
>someone sends you a huge e-mail (most users don't even know they're
>doing it sometimes), and the punts are running slow that day, you could
>clock up £20 or so bill during the day with your end working just fine.

I'll cron the connect for 6:01 8^)

We have dial on  demand on our system at work, and it spends most of
the time connected - out 'phone bill is in the region of several thousand a
year.

Did you register to betatest Demon's ADSL trials?

>Also you might want to look at the various ppp filters, which determine
>which types of packets can cause a dial-up and which types of packets
>can hold the line up. I haven't used these (yet) so I can't advise.

Ta for the tip.

C-YA
Jon

<http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk>