BIND 8.2.2-P5 is a pain!

Richard Smith rdls at jezebel.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 18:05:40 GMT 2000

jon wrote:
> =

> On 22-Jan-00 Richard Smith wrote:
> > I've just upgraded to 3.4-RELEASE which upgraded BIND to the infamous=

> > 8.2.2-P5.
> >
> > In the past, I've managed to get bind, ppp, and sendmail to live happ=
ily
> > together and only use the phone when I told them to. That is:- ppp wo=
uld
> > dial on demand, but bind would satisfy all sendmails dns requests dur=
ing
> > boot time using local name tables.
> >
> > Not with 8.2.2-P5, this version of bind insists on pinging the uplink=

> > nameservers on startup. I've looked at the ISC mailing list and the
> > general response is "tough, that's how it's done now".

I've fixed the problem by using the 8.1.2 binary off the 3.3 CD #2.

 =

> Funny, I've just gotten the same problem - I put the
> 'ppp -alias -auto demon' line in my rc.conf (is this the best place?)
> but when I boot the machine, it dials then cuts the connection almost
> straight away.

I think you may be confused as to the purpose of rc.conf. It is a list
of environment variables, which are included several times within the
various rc.* files during boot time. It shouldn't invoke programs
directly. Loads of default values are stored in /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
which are then overridden by the values you set in /etc/rc.conf. You
should never need to change /etc/defaults/rc.conf as this is updated
every time the operating system is upgraded.

That said, I start ppp from my rc.conf file using the following
statement:

ppp_enable=3D"YES"

This will cause the following command to be executed at the appropriate
time during the boot up sequence and will hopefully avoid the false
starts your experiencing.

ppp -auto -nat -quiet papchap

Note that -alias is and alias for -nat and you can change papchap to
demon by using the following statement in your rc.conf:

ppp_profile=3D"demon"

 =

> Another annoying thing is connections that just don't want to die.
> After I visit eg. Hotmail my server and one of their servers insist on
> bouncing packets back and forth so the line can take quite a while
> to drop.

I have seen some talk about this in the past, and apparently there is a
correct way to close a connection, but with some connections this
doesn't happen, perhaps because the dial-up line gets dropped. But TCP
has some long timers, being _very_ resilient to delay, and after a
minute or so will drop the connection unilaterally.

 =

> Since I intend the machine to be autodialing when I'm not here I
> want to be sure it won't run up a huge 'phone bill for me.  Is there
> any way to stop this frivolous packet-bouncing?

Firstly, you should keep records so that you can limit your exposure to
huge phone bills. If you allow it to dial up during peak time, and
someone sends you a huge e-mail (most users don't even know they're
doing it sometimes), and the punts are running slow that day, you could
clock up =A320 or so bill during the day with your end working just fine.=

You need to decide what rules you want to impose then see how you can
achieve them. =

Also you might want to look at the various ppp filters, which determine
which types of packets can cause a dial-up and which types of packets
can hold the line up. I haven't used these (yet) so I can't advise.

Richard.