Setting the time on a dial-up

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 22 09:52:36 GMT 2000

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 10:12:46AM +0000, Mike Bristow wrote:

> > > man timed
> >
> > sorry, I guess I was a little too quick answering that. :-) timed will
> > not help of course if you have Windows PCs or anything,
>
> I /think/ tardis (probably available on places like download.com and
> suchlike) can sync to time sources on port 37 (`time').

Possibly it can.  I've been using tardis when the FreeBSD box was running
xntpd, and it worked very well.  However, it doesn't seem like it can
sync to timed.

Running

    % timed -F `hostname`

on the Unix host, none of the options on tardis seem to let it sync.
Tardis can be found at http://www.kaska.demon.co.uk/.

A quick

    % sockstat | grep time
    root     timed    64832    3 udp    *.525                 *.*

shows port 37 doesn't seem to be involved anywhere.

Any thoughts?

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell