Setting the time on a dial-up

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 20 18:15:15 GMT 2000

Hi folks,

Bit of a noddy question this one I'm afraid.

Running a machine that dials up to the 'net, I have a call to ntpdate in
my ppp linkup file to ensure that the local time is adjusted to reflect
reality.

There are a couple of other machines on the same network, and I'd like
them to sync their time to the dial up machine.

At first, I thought I could do this with xntpd, with a conf file that
has

    server 127.127.1.0 prefer

so xntpd would treat the local clock as a reference, and use that.

Checking ntpdate(8) though,

     Ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon (e.g.
     xntpd(8))  is running on the same host.

So, what's the best way to set the time on the local machine, *and*
broadcast that time to other clients on the network, bearing in mind
I don't want to dial up every now and then just to get an accurate
time.

Any pointers?  xntpd and ntpdate don't seem to be written with this in
mind.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell