Small question and hello

Richard Smith rsmith at trltech.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 16:04:13 GMT 2000

Gary Brewer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Hello I am new to this mailing list and thought I would introduce myself
> to the neighbourhood.
>
> My problem at the moment is this error I get in /var/log/maillog
>
> Jan 19 15:29:19 gooseberry sendmail[508]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): hash map
> "Alias
> 0": missing map file /usr/local/majordomo/majordomo.aliases.db: No such
> file or
> directory
>
> It appears once a minute. I have tried just touching that file then I get
> another error saying the db is in the wrong state.

I'm guessing here, but...

Sendmail uses makemap to generate a number of databases it uses, such as
aliases, mailertable and access, these get a .db extension when they've
been run through the mill, such as:

makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db < access

is the command to generate an access database from the user editable
file.

I would guess that you have majordomo installed, and it is somehow
telling sendmail to use another aliases database and that that database
does not yet exist or is an invalid format. I would suggest that rather
than touching the file, create an empty database file (about 32K ;-)),
and see it that helps.

As I said this is pure guess work.

Richard.