ppp -alias with Win98 PPTP

Steven Fletcher flec at flec.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 14:58:12 GMT 2000

Hi all;

I've got a configuration at home where ppp is running -alias & -auto for
a small network here, and I'm wanting to create a VPN to a server at our
office. When bypassing the FreeBSD box (i.e, creating a Win 98 dialup
connection & connecting directly), I can then run on top of that the VPN
connection to our server and all works fine.

However, behind the FreeBSD box here I can't get a connection. tcpdump
shows "gre-proto-0x880B (gre encap)" trying to escape via tun0, but
nothing comes back at any level (further indicated by RD light on the
TA)

Does ppp support gre with -alias? (I've read about it being able to
support filtering in 3.4-R, but I'm running 4.0-19990806-C). I *think*
that I might need to use "alias pptp 192.168.0.10" here, where
192.168.0.10 is the Win 98 box and 192.168.0.1 is the freebsd gateway.

I'd appreciate any assistance here.

Many thanks!

Steven Fletcher
stevenf at shellnet.co.uk