Working with the UKUUG and LUUG

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Sun Feb 27 19:03:04 GMT 2000

dom at happygiraffe.net (Dominic Mitchell) wrote:

> Yes, the next version of Solaris will be free, with S&H charges of $75.
> Yeah, that's free.

Solaris for non-commercial use (desktop edition) has been free (you pay
shipping, $35 works out at ~20UKP for us UK folk) since 2.6 onwards.

My understanding is that the next version is not free, what you are
paying $75 for is the full server edition and right to use in a
commercial environment.

I say good deal, for something which previously was priced at 10x that
(don't forget that server edition comes with all the Solstice stuff,
and DiskSuite, etc).

> Christ, it costs less to order a copy of FreeBSD from the states than
> $75, and Sun have the luxury of shipping from within this country!

The free version I ordered came from the US, ordered on a Saturday over
the web, arrived on the Wednesday.

> -Dom (Solaris admin by day)

Also.

-Paul-