3.4 Installation woes

Neil Ford neil at binky.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 22:22:41 GMT 2000

This is probably blindingly obvious but I thought I'd ask just in case...

I'm trying to install 3.4 from CD on my workstation at home but I'm hitting
a problem.

The machine is configured as follows;

Primary IDE
  Master: 6Gb HD (currently with 2Gb Windows partition and 4Gb Extended
partition)
  Slave:  6Gb HD (currently with RedHat 6.1 using the whole disk)
Secondary IDE
  Master: Goldstar 32x CD drive

The plan is to replace RH 6.1 letting FreeBSD have the whole second disk.
Boot management is handled by BootMagic.

Everything is recognised okay by the BIOS and the CD boots fine.

Install routine seems to go okay, I can select the second drive, setup the
partition and the filesystems, however when I come to select the
installation media it barfs saying it can't find a CD drive!  I've had
FreeBSD on this machine before the only change has been the addition of the
second drive.

I could possibly get round this by mounting the relevent CD (cd2?) on one of
the servers in the house and doing an FTP install but I'd rather get to the
bottom of this.

All advice, assistance and pointers gratefully received.  Suitable liquid
refreshment as the next get-together I make as way of thanks will of course
be forthcoming (we just need to try and avoid mid-week nights :-( ).

Neil.
neil at binky.demon.co.uk