Working with the UKUUG and LUUG

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 15:18:53 GMT 2000

On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 04:02:19PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> One of the things we talked about on Thursday night was the UK Unix User
> Group, and the London Unix User Group (they've been discussed briefly on
> this list last year as well).
>
> A few of us thought it was a good idea to get more involved with the
> UKUUG and LUUG.  There's already a Linux SIG (Special Interest Group),
> and I'm sure we could form a FreeBSD SIG.

At one point it looked as if the LINUX SIG was going to take over
the UKUUG (8-)

The suggestion of some form of collaboration has come up before, back
when Paul was trying to arrange a FreeBSD technical conference.  I asked
the UKUUG if they could help, they (partly me with another hat on, since
relinquished), said "Make a proposal" (with the intent of providing
useful clerical support etc.), we did nothing, things faded out.

I fear that this is typical for us.  While we do sometimes get our act
together enough for enjoyable mainly social events, we are too dispersed
or disorganised to actually get anything done.  The install-a-thon
idea petered out, and I failed miserably in getting enough speakers
for ACCU's JACC last year.  Compare this with the very successful
(overbooked!) 2 day event arranged in a very short period at Aston
University by the Oxford Linux crew.

I think that one of the main reasons we fail is that we are too widely
geographically dispersed for group activities to get under way, and too
busy with work (and FreeBSD) for anybody to undertake individual time
consuming tasks.

> Thoughts?

Some London based (or close) people offer to give a series of FreeBSD
related talks to the LUUG?

--
Adrian Wontroba