Apache 1.3.6 / PHP3

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 13:48:07 GMT 2000

Tony Finch wrote:

> Richard Smith <rsmith at trltech.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > 4.x will continue to be -current and 3.x will continue to be -stable
> > until 5.x is created, then 3.x will suddenly become non-stable.
>
> Jordan has said that he plans to branch 4.x immediately after 4.0.
> I don't know how he intends to name non-RELEASE versions of FreeBSD
> from that branch before it becomes -STABLE though.

My understanding of all this was that when 4.0 goes out the door it will
be branched and then the head will stay as current and start its long
journey towards 5.0 and the 4.x branch will become -stable, although not
actually stable until 4.2ish. Which leaves people who need an actual
stable release stuck for a while since I can't see anything happening to
3.x anymore. One of the reasons for switching to a strictly two branch
system was that it become impossible to support more than two versions
of the code.

Paul.